My first art experience with plaster was interesting. Not the bad kind of interesting, but more like the frustrating kind of interesting.
I started off the day by picking of MJ, my awesome new friend (who happens to be in the same 2:30pm section)! We made a couple of U-turns and finally arrived at Seal Beach. The whole process of whole digging, hole filling, plaster making, waiting, and digging took much longer than I expected to.
As you can see from our pictures, our plaster pieces did not come out looking exactly like our hands. The first problem we ran into was not compacting enough wet dirt into the whole before we placed our hands into the holes. Then, our second problem not mixing enough plaster fast enough. After waiting about an hour, we started to dig our plaster pieces out of the sand very carefully. Unfortunately, as I pulled out the second and most successful piece, a tip of the finger broke. So, lesson learned; be very gentle with new, unset plaster! It can break easily.
My future plans for the plaster include brushing the sand off and sanding it down. Maybe I will carve out some details and then paint another time. Overall, it was very fun and I am glad I got to spend the day with a new friend experimenting with plaster.
Shout out to MJ for being an awesome plaster buddy today! I am glad we spent the day frying on the beach and putting our hands in sand!